facebook Google + Instagram Twitter YouTube RSS News
United Church of Christ

533 Route 28, Harwich Port, MA 02646 | Phone: 508-432-1668

Early 1900'sIn 1853, a small group from the Center Congregational Church in Harwich Center met to discuss the possibility of establishing a church in Harwich Port, "for the better accommodation of the inhabitants of said vicinity." A year later, on February 7, 1854, a vote was taken to build a meeting house in Harwich Port at a cost not to exceed $6,000.

There were only twenty charter church members in 1854, but they had help from other people in the community. Church records indicate 79 men were the original shareholders who subscribed $100 each. These men were sea captains, ordinary seamen, carpenters, farmers, millers, lawyers, sail makers and merchants. A year later, on February 1, 1855, the church building and vestry were completed and officially dedicated. On April 25, 1855, William A. McCollom was ordained and installed as First Pastor of Pilgrim Church and Society.

1941In 1879, the Dorcas Society, an established group of interested church and community members voted to add a fellowship hall to connect to the vestry. The cost to build was $750, and in 1929 the room was enlarged and the kitchen renovated. 

1936In 1955, the Parish Hall was constucted. It was dedicated to the Rev. Dr. Charles H. Monbleau, who served Pilgrim Church as minister from 1955 - 1985. His ministry was enhanced by the devotion and support of his wife Lola, who was Music Director from 1955 - 1989.

Part of the 1955 project included offices and a parlor. The parlor was dedicated to Ralph H. Snow, devoted church member and President of Cape Cod 5 Cents Savings Bank. The Snow Parlor is a quiet place with comfortable chairs and is home to Pilgrim Church Library.

In 1966, the Dorcas Room was moved to its present location to permit construction of a chancel in the sanctuary. At the same time, a new organ was purchased, a gift in memory of Mr. William E. Foster, from his wife Alta and the Whitehouse family. A chapel was added to the sanctuary, made possible by a gift from long-time friends, Dr. Willard J. and Mrs. Louise Hollingshead.

150 AnniversaryThe stained glass window above the chancel altar was a gift from Mr. Russell N. Monbleau (the brother of The Reverend Dr. Charles H. Monbleau), and was dedicated on December 11, 1966 in loving memory of their parents, Charles J. and Alice Monbleau.